Restaurant Kitchen Hood Cleaning and Fire Prevention
With most recent reports showing commercial kitchen fire damage costing businesses over $56-million, it is extremely important for you to keep your kitchen safe. A proper restaurant kitchen hood cleaning is the best fire prevention you can make to avoid disaster in your kitchen. Fires often occur from vent systems that are not properly cleaned.
COMMERCIAL KITCHEN FIRE STATISTICS
We don’t want you to become a statistic. Far too many preventable kitchen fires are happening in commercial kitchens, many due to improperly cleaned equipment and neglected kitchen hoods.
Here are a few statistics on commercial kitchen fires:
- Each year, there are approximately 1500 commercial kitchen fires in eating and drinking establishments alone, or four per day! (NFPA)
- 22% of these fires were caused by improperly cleaned equipment (NFPA)
- 61% of all kitchen fires were caused by cooking equipment (NFPA)
- There was over $165M in damages from these fires over a five year period. There were also over 100 injuries and five fatalities. (NFPA)
CAUSES OF KITCHEN FIRES
While 61% of all commercial kitchen fires were caused by cooking equipment, there are other causes for kitchen fires that you need to be aware of, including:
- Electrical systems, including wiring, breakers, and lighting
- Heating equipment for climate control
- Smoking materials
- Arson, or intentional fires
Except for that last one, all of these are preventable through proper maintenance, inspections, and working within the local and national fire prevention codes.
COMMERCIAL KITCHEN FIRE SAFETY
There are steps you can take to prevent kitchen fires. Most importantly, you want to have a good cleaning schedule for your kitchen hoods and vents with a company that cleans to NFPA96 standards and according fire safety regulations for commercial kitchens (learn more in our FAQs). Hoods that aren’t cleaned properly and regularly build up fire fuel that is just waiting to ignite. Don’t let that happen in your kitchen.
Here are some other things you can do to prevent kitchen fires:
- Install a fire suppression system. These will minimize damage and even safe lives — and your business — should a fire break out despite your preventative actions.
- Clean the entire exhaust system. Many cleaning companies will clean only the parts of the ventilation system that are visible, which is a very dangerous practice. On-Site Commercial services cleans the entire system.
- Keep fire extinguishers charged and easily available. You need both Class K (grease, fat, and oil fires) available near cooking equipment and Class ABC for other areas of your business.
- Train your team on fire prevention and fire reaction. Have written standards and do regular training on preventing kitchen fires and how to react to and stay safe in the event of a fire.
Commercial kitchen fire safety may be required by law, but many restaurant owners fail to comply with regulations. On-Site Commercial services makes it easy to stay in compliance and stay safe by scheduling regular cleanings of your commercial kitchen hood and ventilation system. By doing regular, thorough cleanings, you’ll keep your business from becoming one of those scary statistics.
Call now for a free estimate – 480-324-8304.